National Preparedness Month: Prepare Yourself for Whatever Comes Your Way
August 29th, 2019
Disaster can strike quickly and without warning. It can force you to evacuate your neighborhood, workplace or school or can confine you to your home. Here are some tips for preparing for natural disasters:
- Get to know the types of disasters that can occur in your community.
- Make an evacuation plan. Practice this plan with your entire family.
- Create a disaster supplies kit that includes enough supplies for each family member for at least three days. Remember to check your kit every six months.
- Make sure you remember what your smoke alarms, fire alarms and local community warning systems (horns, sirens) sound like and how to respond.
- Carry a small index card that lists emergency information to remember and give out if needed.
- Make sure you know alternative routes and have appropriate supplies on hand, such as a compact kit with essential items like water, a flashlight, and a whistle.